Tag: land registry

Search for house prices and property information with the Land Registry

The Land Registry oversee the ownership of property and land in the United Kingdom. As the government body in charge of recording the important information about property ownership, the Land Registry allow people to view their archived information on house prices, as well as material on properties, such as land boundaries, flooding risk and the registered title at a property.

This information is useful for a number of reasons, including reviewing the average price of property in a particular area you’d like to move to, preparing for potential flooding issues and proving a boundary issue in a dispute with a neighbour.

Find the price of a house on the Land Registry

The Land Registry keep extensive information on the cost of housing in England and Wales. Information about housing in Scotland can be found through Registers of Scotland and information about housing in Northern Ireland can be found with the Land and Property Services.

The Land Registry’s house price archives date back to 1995. Users can find the average house price for a particular area based on date, type of property (terraced, semi-detached, detached, flat or maisonette) and region, county or local authority.

To search the archive, use the Land Registry’s online search tool. The tool provides a variety of graphs and data for users to review. You can also enter two different areas in order to compare the difference in property prices over the selected period of time.

For further, more detailed information on using the search tool, please review the Land Registry’s YouTube tutorial, found on the search tool’s page.

Find property information with the Land Registry

The Land Registry keep information about title register, title plan and flooding risk for properties and land sold in the United Kingdom, dating back to 1993. You can search the Land Registry by heading online and logging into the Land Registry website. From here, you can search for a property and, for a fee, download a specific document.

The title register costs £3, the title plan costs £3 and a flood risk document costs £10.80, including VAT. More information about searching for housing information and the payment process can be attained by calling our Prove I Called Land Registry Contact Number.

Information about property boundaries with the Land Registry

Properties that are registered with the Land Registry receive a title plan, detailing the boundaries of the property. This information is usually an estimate, but will be exact if a previous owner of the property figured out the exact property boundaries.

To receive this information, you can contact the Land Registry with the Prove I Called Land Registry Contact Number. They govern the ownership of property in England and Wales.

Registers of Scotland do the same for Scotland and Land and Property Services oversee Northern Ireland’s property ownership.

Figuring out features and boundary agreements for the Land Registry

If you are aiming to figure out your exact property boundaries, you can do so by submitting a boundary agreement to the Land Registry. The first step of the process is examining any pre-existing boundary agreements on either your property or any neighbouring properties.

This information can be found by searching for and examining the property deeds. If none exist, you can create a new boundary agreement. These must be agreed upon by both neighbours.

Boundary features and dividing structures, such as a wall, fence or hedge. They split the property plot between two neighbours, though there is no governing rule over who owns a boundary feature. The ownership of a boundary feature is decided through a boundary agreement.

How to work out your property boundary

In order to work out the exact boundaries of your property, you should first review the numerous property documents available through the Land Registry. The main document to check is the title plan, please contact the Land Registry for more information on receiving and checking the housing documentation before working out your property boundary.

The boundaries can be drawn up based on the title plan of your and your neighbours’ properties, it can also be drawn up by a land surveyor, then passed on to the Land Registry with agreement from neighbours and a fee of £90.

Agreements and arguments with neighbours and the Land Registry

Before a property boundary is officially accepted by the Land Registry, your neighbours must agree to the stated boundaries. This can be proved by a written agreement posted to the Land Registry.

If no written agreement is included in your boundary application, the Land Registry will contact your neighbours. If there is an issue, your neighbours will be referred to a First Tier Tribunal. If this is the case, you may be required to attend a tribunal.

Land Registry title deeds and joint property ownership

For pairs of people that share the purchase of a property, the Land Registry allow you to register as joint owners. There are two different types of joint property ownership.

You can register as joint tenants or as tenants in common. It is important to select the correct type of joint ownership when reporting it to the Land Registry as you may be incorrectly restricted as to what you can do with the property should something happen to your fellow property owner.

Getting a copy of your property deed from the Land Registry

After registering your property with the Land Registry, you may want to receive the title deeds that offer recent and historic information on the ownership of the property. Title deeds can also provide information on the property boundaries, as agreed by previous tenants.

To get a copy of your title deeds, you can download the title register. Find your property’s title number and submit a deeds request form to the Land Registry, along with the correct fee. Your deeds may consist of multiple documents. Each document will cost you £7 each. If you cannot find the property title number on the title register, the property is not registered with the Land Registry.

The two different types of joint property ownership

There are two different options available to people hoping to register as joint owners of a property in England or Wales.

Joint tenants

Joint tenants, otherwise known as beneficial joint tenants, have the same rights over a property. Following the death of one owner, it will automatically pass onto the other. Joint tenants cannot pass on the ownership of the property through their will.

Tenants in common

Tenants in common are able to purchase different amounts of the property, leading to a difference in shares. The property will not automatically be passed onto the other owner following a death and it can be passed on in a will.

Changing your joint ownership registration with the Land Registry

Selecting joint tenancy or tenants in common isn’t a permanent decision. It can be altered. If you split from a partner or want to leave your share or a property to someone other than your joint tenant, you can change to tenants in common.

Similarly, if you want to have an equal share in your owned property, you can change to be joint tenants. You can also change to joint ownership from a single ownership deal, in a move called transferring ownership. There is no fee to change your type of ownership.

Land Registry property ownership forms and fees

The Land Registry is a government department, though it does not receive any government funding. Instead, it is expected to cover its own expenditure. The Land Registry is funded by a series of fees and registration costs that more cover the costs of overseeing the ownership of property in England and Wales.

When registering your property ownership or searching for a specific property deeds or document, you will need to pay an administration fee. Registration also requires the submission of the correct form for your area of application.

Land Registry registration forms and documents

There are a large number of different forms that must be submitted to the Land Registry, depending on your particular application. These various forms can be downloaded from the Land Registry website, with forms for Registration, Land Charges and Agricultural Credits.

All land registration forms are available in English and Welsh. It is important that you select the correct form when applying as any incorrect forms will be refused.

To apply for First Registration, you’ll need to provide original supporting documents. Every other application should be sent as a certified copy, rather than an original. The Land Registry destroy documents once they have scanned the paper onto a computer. If you send your application through e-DRS, the Land Registry will only accept a certified copy.

Registration fees and making a payment to the Land Registry

As previously stated, the Land Registry require a fee, dependent on which service you are using or what you applying for. The particular fee can be found on the Land Registry website by using the fee calculator tool.

You can pay any necessary fees by either direct debit account or by cheque or postal order, payable to Land Registry. More information can be received by calling the Prove I Called Land Registry Contact Number.

The Land Registry address for applications

Citizen Centre

PO Box 6350



Land Charges, bankruptcy, insolvency, Agricultural Credits or business e-services applications must be sent to another address, more information can be found here.

Land Registry contact number – 0843 504 0507

Land Registry Contact Number

What is the Land Registry?

The Land Registry oversees the ownership of property in England and Wales. In Scotland, the equivalent government body is the Registers of Scotland. They are responsible for registering land ownership. Land ownership can include buildings on a plot, it can also include the ownership of mines underneath the ground and airspace above.

Despite being a government department, the Land Registry does not receive any funding from the state. Rather, it uses its own income to pay for the various expenditures. The income is raised through application, information and registration fees. People can search the Land Registry for the various titles and plans in their database. Around 80% of England and Wales is registered, with the 20% owned by institutions like the Royal Family and the Church of England.

What can I get help with when I call the Land Registry?

There are plenty of reasons to call the Land Registry, though the most common is to enquire about the land registration process. This allows property owners to prove their ownership of a building or piece of land.

You can also call to find out more about the cost of registering your property, or the cost of searching the database of the Land Registry. There are plenty of rules and regulations to follow, as you’d expect from a government department, meaning land owners will want to get their application correct.

How does Prove I Called work?

When you call through the Prove I Called number, you get added protection. We can give you evidence that may prove useful in the future if you have any disputes or queries with the complaints team for the company. It can also be used for your own personal records, or any other matter you deem applicable.

We know how stressful it can be when contacting a company. Prove I Called keeps a record of the time, date and duration of your call to a company. This service is perfect for ongoing calls to a business, or when you have run into issues with a company. Prove I Called is not affiliated with any company listed in our directory.

To request your call details please email support@proveicalled.com with your phone number and the date you called. With that information, we can provide you with an independent email confirming the details of the call, this email can be forwarded to the company you are contacting as evidence of your call. Calls to 084 numbers cost 5p from a BT Landline, calls from mobiles and other providers may be considerably more.

Land Registry phoneline opening hours

Monday to Friday: 8am - 6pm
Saturday to Sunday: Closed

Company address & email

Seaton Court
2 William Prance Road

Social Media accounts

Facebook: Land Registry
Twitter: @LandRegGov
LinkedIn: Land Registry
YouTube: Land Registry
Google Plus: Land Registry