Tag: child tax credit

Child Tax Credit Contact Number – 0843 504 3776

What is Child Tax Credit?

Child Tax Credit is a benefit available in the UK to help with the cost of raising a child. It is a tax credit which can be offered on top of child benefit and can be paid to families whether they are in or out of work. The credit is integrated with working tax credit, which also provides assistance for childcare costs. You may be eligible to receive a Child Tax Credit for each child you are responsible for if they either are under 16, or under 20 and in approved education or training.

What can I get help with when I call the Child Tax Credit contact number?

Upon calling the Child Tax Credit contact number you can find out whether you are eligible for the benefit, how to claim the benefit and the amount that you could receive. You should also make a call to the contact number if you are already claiming the tax credit and need to update your personal details, such as in the event of a change of address or employment status. 

If you claim Child Tax Credit you will have to renew your claim each year - this can also be done over the phone. To support your claim you will need to keep a record of your income, household bills, wage slips, benefits, other tax credits, childcare costs and your child's education. You should keep these types of records for at least three years to support your claims.

How does Prove I Called work?

When you call through the Prove I Called number, you get added protection. We can give you evidence that may prove useful in the future if you have any disputes or queries with the complaints team for the company. It can also be used for your own personal records, or any other matter you deem applicable.

We know how stressful it can be when contacting a company. Prove I Called keeps a record of the time, date and duration of your call to a company. This service is perfect for ongoing calls to a business, or when you have run into issues with a company. Prove I Called is not affiliated with any company listed in our directory.

To request your call details please email support@proveicalled.com with your phone number and the date you called. With that information, we can provide you with an independent email confirming the details of the call, this email can be forwarded to the company you are contacting as evidence of your call. Calls to 084 numbers cost 5p from a BT Landline, calls from mobiles and other providers may be considerably more.

Child Tax Credit phoneline opening hours

Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm
Saturday to Sunday: 8am - 4pm

Company address & email

HM Revenue and Customs - Tax Credit Office
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom

Social Media accounts

Facebook: HMRC
Twitter: @HMRCgovuk
YouTube: HMRCgovuk

All you need to know about the benefit cap

If you are an adult aged between 16 and 64 there is a set limit on how much benefit  (including Child Tax Credit) you can claim, also known as 'the benefit cap'. Though some individual benefits are not affected, the total amount of benefit you are entitled to may vary.

The cap applies to the total amount you receive from the following list of benefits and allowances, provided by the GOV.uk website:

· Bereavement Allowance

· Carer’s Allowance

· Child Benefit

· Child Tax Credit

· Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support component)

· Guardian’s Allowance

· Housing Benefit

· Incapacity Benefit

· Income Support

· Jobseeker’s Allowance

· Maternity Allowance

· Severe Disablement Allowance

· Universal Credit

· Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)

The level of the cap is:

· For couples with or without children at home - £500

· For single parents whose children are at home - £500

· For single adults who don’t have children or children at home - £350

So in essence, some benefits will decrease to ensure your total amount does not exceed the benefit cap level. The fastest and most efficient way to work out if the cap affects you is to use the calculator on the GOV.uk website.

Who isn't affected?

You will not have your benefits affected by the cap if anyone in your household is eligible for Working Tax Credit or receives one of the following:

· Disability Living Allowance

· Personal Independence Payment

· Attendance Allowance

· Industrial Injuries Benefits and equivalent payments as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

· Employment and Support Allowance, if you get the support component

· War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

· War pensions

· Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

· Armed Forces Independence Payment

· If you’re seeing a Jobcentre Plus adviser, Work Programme or Work Choice provider, they’ll continue to help you look for work and get skills you may need for a job.

Other calculators

Replacing the Benefits Adviser service, there are two independent, free and anonymous ways to calculate your benefit entitlements, find out how your benefits will be affected if you begin work and information on how to claim.

Turn2us and entitledto both give information on tax credits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit and income-related benefits and how you will be affected if you start work. Entitledto also helps with contribution-based benefits.

You need to be over 18 to use the calculators, and results will not be accurate if you are a student, on strike, living outside the UK, a prisoner, living permanently in a residential care or nursing home or are not a British or Irish citizen.

To use the calculators you will need information about you and your partner’s income, existing benefits and pensions of you and anyone else living in your household, as well as your council tax bill and any other outgoings, such as mortgage and childcare payments. The amount of savings you have will also be taken into account.

A guide to Child Tax Credit payments

As a basic amount, also known as the ‘family element,’ you should be eligible for £545 of Child Tax Credits per year, though you may be able to get extra elements too.

Payment depends on your personal circumstances as well as your income. We’ve outlined the additional elements and rates for the 2015/2016 tax year for you below:

· For each child – up to £2780 per year

· For each disabled child – up to £3,140 on top of the child element

· For each severely disabled child – up to £1,275 on top of both of the above

How am I paid?

As with other benefits, pensions and allowances provided by either government bodies – HM Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions – the money is paid into the account or building society of the person responsible for the primary care of the child.

Unless you have change in circumstance (of which you must report immediately to the tax credit office), you will be paid either every week or every four weeks from the date of your initial claim until the end of the tax year – 5th April. A change in circumstance includes instances such as the child leaving home, a change in income or the death of you partner – in which case your tax credit can increase or decrease.

The fastest and most efficient way to check out the total amount payable to you as a parent or carer is to use the tax credit online calculator, provided by GOV.uk. There you will be able to check if your income exceeds the threshold to claim tax credits.

As the benefit is dependent on an individual’s circumstance there is no set income limit. If you pay for childcare or you or your partner is disabled, the rate of income that is accepted will be higher than the average £26,100 income for a family with one child.

For more information about the limit of benefit cap applicable to most people aged 16 to 64, ProveICalled have created a handy guide.

How to claim Child Tax Credit and Child Benefits

You are able to order the form needed to claim Child Tax Credit by either using the GOV.uk online tool or by calling the Tax Credit Office though bear in mind the form may take up to two weeks to arrive. However, if you are already claiming any form of tax credits you do not need to complete the form as a member of staff on the contact number should be able to update your claim.

The need to know

· You can only claim Child Tax Credit in one household

· The process of a new claim can take up to five weeks

· You must renew the claim annually

· You can claim at any point in the year

· You are able to apply for Child and Working Tax Credits on the same form

So it goes without saying that you should keep records from the past three years that concern the care of the child and their education, as well as your income, benefits, other tax credits, bills and payslips.

Child Benefits

As soon as a child is born or starts living with you, you are able to claim Child Benefit. However, this type of benefit takes up to 12 weeks if it’s a new claim. No longer than those 12 weeks (or three months) can be backdated so it’s crucial you claim as soon as possible.

To claim, you must complete a Child Benefit claim form (CH2) and send it to the Child Benefit Office address below, alongside the child’s original birth of adoption certificate. If you are not in possession of either certification you can send the form alone and send the supporting certificate when you have it – it’s also possible to order a new certificate if you have lost the original. You do not need either certificate if you are repeating a claim you have already made in the past for the same child.

Send your forms to:

Child Benefit Office (GB)


Newcastle upon Tyne

NE88 1ZD

Am I eligible for Child Tax Credit?

Eligibility for Child Tax Credit is dependent on two things: the child’s age and whether you are responsible for the child.

The child must be either under 16, or under 20 if they are in approved education or training. If the former, you are able to claim up until 31st of August after their 16th birthday.

If you claim responsibility for the child they must either live with you all the time, normally live with you as the main carer, keep their belongings at your home, live in an EEA country (or Switzerland) but depend on you financially and have their meals or pocket money paid for by you.

If you are unsure whether you are classed as responsible for the child you can use the Child Tax Credit contact number to check. If you are currently sharing responsibility of a child and are in disagreement with the other party about responsibility, the tax credit office will decide for you.

If the child you are responsible for: gets Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment/Armed Forces Independence Payment or is certified blind, you may qualify for extra Child Tax Credits. You will still receive Child Tax Credit if any of the payments stop because the child is sick in hospital.

Call the Tax Credit helpline to find out more information if you are caring for an adopted or fostered child and you are or are not getting money from your local council; you may find you are still able to claim.

Other important points provided by GOV.uk:

· You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit

· You can’t claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time

· You get money for each child that qualifies and Child Tax Credit won’t affect your Child Benefit

As with many government-sourced benefits from both HM Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions, you must be in the country for three months before you are able to claim any Child Tax Credit – if you have arrived from an EEA country post-1st July 2014 and do not work.

Use the tax credits online calculator for the fastest and most efficient way in checking your eligibility.