Preparing and filing your annual return with Companies House
Filing your annual returns and accounts is quick and easy to do online with Companies House. It is vital that you send your return annually as your company could be fined £5,000 and struck off if you fail to.
The annual return must be sent once a year to Companies House by the director of a registered company, alongside the annual account and any updates and changes of address or directors.
You can file your annual return up to 28 days after the due date, and are able to sign up to email alerts to let you know when that due date is. Companies House will also send a reminder letter to the registered address to inform you though it is usually 12 months after either the incorporation of your company or the date you filed your last annual return.
Remember: the annual return is different to your company’s annual account and tax return and they are not normally done at the same time.
The following list is provided by GOV.uk and tells you what your annual return must include:
· Details of the directors and company secretary, if it has one
· What your company does - including its standard industrial classification (sic) codes
· The type of company it is
· The registered company address
· The ‘single alternative inspection location’ (sail) - the address where records are kept if not at the registered address
You may also need to include:
· A ‘statement of capital’ if your company has shares
· Details of shareholders, if required and depending how long since you last reported on them
· Up to 4 SIC codes relating to your company’s business (a number that identifies what a company does)
You are able to send your return online at the cost of £13, payable by card or PayPal or by post. You just need to download, print out, fill it in and post the form to Companies House if you can’t do it online, though this costs £40 and is only payable by cheque (write your company name on the back). Send your return to the following address: