Category: Government

Child Tax Credit Contact Number – 0843 504 3776

What is Child Tax Credit?

Child Tax Credit is a benefit available in the UK to help with the cost of raising a child. It is a tax credit which can be offered on top of child benefit and can be paid to families whether they are in or out of work. The credit is integrated with working tax credit, which also provides assistance for childcare costs. You may be eligible to receive a Child Tax Credit for each child you are responsible for if they either are under 16, or under 20 and in approved education or training.

What can I get help with when I call the Child Tax Credit contact number?

Upon calling the Child Tax Credit contact number you can find out whether you are eligible for the benefit, how to claim the benefit and the amount that you could receive. You should also make a call to the contact number if you are already claiming the tax credit and need to update your personal details, such as in the event of a change of address or employment status. 

If you claim Child Tax Credit you will have to renew your claim each year - this can also be done over the phone. To support your claim you will need to keep a record of your income, household bills, wage slips, benefits, other tax credits, childcare costs and your child's education. You should keep these types of records for at least three years to support your claims.

How does Prove I Called work?

When you call through the Prove I Called number, you get added protection. We can give you evidence that may prove useful in the future if you have any disputes or queries with the complaints team for the company. It can also be used for your own personal records, or any other matter you deem applicable.

We know how stressful it can be when contacting a company. Prove I Called keeps a record of the time, date and duration of your call to a company. This service is perfect for ongoing calls to a business, or when you have run into issues with a company. Prove I Called is not affiliated with any company listed in our directory.

To request your call details please email with your phone number and the date you called. With that information, we can provide you with an independent email confirming the details of the call, this email can be forwarded to the company you are contacting as evidence of your call. Calls to 084 numbers cost 5p from a BT Landline, calls from mobiles and other providers may be considerably more.

Child Tax Credit phoneline opening hours

Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm
Saturday to Sunday: 8am - 4pm

Company address & email

HM Revenue and Customs - Tax Credit Office
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom

Social Media accounts

Facebook: HMRC
Twitter: @HMRCgovuk
YouTube: HMRCgovuk

Driving licence issues with the VOSA

To drive in the United Kingdom, you need a valid licence. Licences vary from vehicle to vehicle; a regular driving licence does not entitle you to drive a motorcycle, an HGV or a bus. Each different type of vehicle requires a different licence, proving that you are capable of driving the particular vehicle.

For new UK residents, you may need to apply for a UK licence if your current licence is not regarded as a valid driving licence. Through the DVSA, you can apply for a provisional licence, change your current licence, popular edits include name changes and updated photographs, and renew your photo-card licence should it be approaching or past its expiry date.

There are a variety of different categories of driving licence and, depending on when you first passed your driving test, your driving licence will differ from other people’s.

You may also wish to contact the DVSA to discuss penalty points that you’ve received following a driving offence.

Applying for a driving licence through the VOSA

Whether you are applying for your provisional licence or your HGV licence, you can do so through the DVSA.

For a provisional driving licence, you need to be aged 17 or over (barring certain circumstances that involve PIP receivers) and you must meet the minimum eyesight requirements. More information about minimum eyesight requirements can be found here. You must be a resident of Great Britain, but keep in mind that there is a different driving licence service for Northern Ireland.

When applying, you will need to pay a fee of £34, paid by credit or debit card. You’ll also need a valid UK passport, or another form of identity, and know your National Insurance number. You are also required to provide addresses of anywhere you’ve lived over the past three years.

This information is correct for standard car licence applications. If you are applying for another licence, such as an HGV or motorcycle licence, we recommend you research the specific licence as there are a number of regulations that vary based on the vehicle you are applying for.

Changing or renewing your driving licence

You can renew your licence online, provided you have not changed your name or you are not renewing a 5 year truck or bus licence. A photo-card licence must be renewing every 10 years. Renewal costs £14.

There is no renewal charge if you are aged 70 or over. At the age of 70 or over, your licence must be renewed every three years. You can find out more about renewal requirements by calling the Prove I Called VOSA Contact Number.

To change details on your licence, such as your name, title, photograph and address, you will need to head online to the DVSA website and either download the correct form or complete an online application. Name and title changes require a posted form. Photo and address changes can be completed online.

Booking driving and theory tests with the VOSA

In order to receive a full driving licence, you will first need to pass a driving theory and a driving practical test. A theory test pass is required before you can book a driving test date. Having passed your theory test, you have two years to pass your practical test. Your pass expires after two years, meaning you will have to book another theory test and pay the booking fee again.

Theory and practical driving tests must be booked for a specific time and date. This is due to the high demand for the two. Theory tests are booked in order to guarantee a place in front of a testing computer. Practical tests require the presence of a certified instructor, hence the need of a booking.

When am I allowed to book a theory or practical driving test?

As long as you have a provisional driving licence, you will be able to book a theory test. You will need to pass your theory test before you book a practical test, aside from certain extenuating circumstances.

To book a theory test, you will need your provisional driving licence number, an email address (to receive a booking confirmation) and a credit or debit card, in order to pay for the booking fee. The booking fee for a car theory test is £23, the price is the same for a motorcycle theory test.

To book a practical driving test, you will need to have passed a theory test, your Great Britain driving licence number and a credit or debit card to pay the £62 driving test fee. The fee rises to £75 if you book a test after 4.30pm, on a weekend or a bank holiday.

What do I bring to a practical driving test?

You’ll need to bring your driving theory pass certificate and your provisional driving licence. If you do not have a photographic licence, you’ll need to bring a valid passport. Your test will be cancelled if you don’t have the correct documents and your fee will not be refunded.

Call the Prove I Called VOSA Contact Number for more information.

MOT and vehicle testing with the VOSA

MOT stands for the Ministry Of Transport. An MOT test is a full check of a vehicle, making sure it is in road legal shape. It is a legal requirement to MOT your vehicle once a year, as long as the vehicle is three years old or more.

Certain vehicles must be checked when they are a year old, you can find out more about which motor vehicles need this be visiting the DVSA website or by calling the Prove I Called VOSA Contact Number.

You cannot drive your vehicle if the MOT has run out. There are only two exceptions to this rule. You are allowed to drive to a place for repairs. You can also drive to a pre-arranged MOT test. However, it is a lot safer to renew your MOT before its expiry date. You are able to renew your MOT a month before its expiry date.

How do I get an MOT for my car?

When booking an MOT, you need to select an approved MOT test centre. You can tell if a mechanic or repair shop is approved as they will display a blue sign with three upward pointing triangles. To book an MOT, simply call up an approved centre. Agree a time, drop your car off on the day and they’ll complete the MOT.

If your car fails its MOT, you will need to pay for the repairs that will allow your car to pass an MOT. An MOT does not take into account the condition of the engine, gearbox or clutch.

How much does an MOT cost?

Prices will vary from mechanic to mechanic, though there is a maximum price that they can charge. The maximum price depends on the type of vehicle. For a comprehensive list of the maximum price that an MOT centre can charge, take a look at the DVSA website.

What vehicles do not require an MOT?

There are a few vehicles that do not legally require a regular MOT. These include tractors, cars and motorbikes produced before 1960 and goods vehicles powered by electricity.

Becoming a driving instructor with VOSA

There are certain people in the world that would like to be driving instructors. This short guide will explain the various requirements that you must fulfil in order to become a registered driving instructor. If you have any questions about the application process, you can call the Prove I Called VOSA Contact Number.

What requirements are there to become an approved driving instructor?

To become a driving instructor, you must be aged 21 or over. You must also have had a full driving licence for at least three years. You must also include a current criminal record check for driving instructors. Your application should be made through the DVSA. Penalty points and driving disqualifications can affect your application.

You will not be able to apply to be an instructor if your licence only covers the use of automatic cars. The one exception is if you are limited to automatic cars because of a disability. If this is the case, you may be able to apply to become an instructor.

Are there any tests that must be passed before I can become an instructor?

There are three qualifying ADI (Approved driving instructor) tests that must be passed before you can be approved. Each of these tests comes with a testing fee, £81 for the first and £111 for each of the second and third tests.

Following your successful completion of these tests, there are further fees to pay. Your first ADI certificate costs £300, with each subsequent renewal costing £300. A trainee driving instructor licence will cost £140. Fees will differ if you are applying in Northern Ireland.

What can I do if I have been suspended?

There are a number of reasons that approved instructors may be suspended. If the DVSA believe you to be a threat to public safety, you will be suspended. This can be because of a criminal conviction or poor driving safety advice given to your students.

You can appeal to a judicial review if you believe the ADI registrar has made a mistake. However, bear in mind that the review does not consider whether the decision was correct, rather they check that the correct procedures have been followed.

Preparing and filing your annual return with Companies House

Filing your annual returns and accounts is quick and easy to do online with Companies House. It is vital that you send your return annually as your company could be fined £5,000 and struck off if you fail to.

The annual return must be sent once a year to Companies House by the director of a registered company, alongside the annual account and any updates and changes of address or directors.

You can file your annual return up to 28 days after the due date, and are able to sign up to email alerts to let you know when that due date is. Companies House will also send a reminder letter to the registered address to inform you though it is usually 12 months after either the incorporation of your company or the date you filed your last annual return.

Remember: the annual return is different to your company’s annual account and tax return and they are not normally done at the same time.

The following list is provided by and tells you what your annual return must include:

· Details of the directors and company secretary, if it has one

· What your company does - including its standard industrial classification (sic) codes

· The type of company it is

· The registered company address

· The ‘single alternative inspection location’ (sail) - the address where records are kept if not at the registered address

You may also need to include:

· A ‘statement of capital’ if your company has shares

· Details of shareholders, if required and depending how long since you last reported on them

· Up to 4 SIC codes relating to your company’s business (a number that identifies what a company does)

You are able to send your return online at the cost of £13, payable by card or PayPal or by post. You just need to download, print out, fill it in and post the form to Companies House if you can’t do it online, though this costs £40 and is only payable by cheque (write your company name on the back). Send your return to the following address:

Companies House
Crown Way
CF14 3UZ

What should my annual company accounts include?

At the end of a financial year, your company has a range of things it must prepare by certain deadlines. These include full statutory annual accounts and a Company Tax Return that meet the deadlines for filing with both Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs – you can also use these to calculate the amount of Corporation Tax you must pay.

We’ve outlined the actions and deadlines below:

· File a Company Tax Return – 12 months after your accounting period for Corporation Tax finishes

· Pay Corporation Tax or inform HMRC that your company doesn’t owe any – 9 months a 1 day after your accounting period for Corporation Tax finishes

· File first year accounts with Companies House – 21 months after you registered with Companies House

· File annual accounts with Companies House - 9 months after your company’s financial year finishes

Filing your accounts and tax return

You are able to file with Companies House and HMRC separately or together but you need to take the additional steps if you restart a dormant company and at the end of your company’s first year. You can only file them together if you have a private limited company that doesn’t require an auditor. Though there are penalties for filing late, Companies House may extend the deadline if you apply for extra time before filing, and an event out of your control hinders you from sending your accounts.

You can email them to explain the situation at – ensure you let them know how much time you expect to need. Or you can write to the following address:
Companies House
Crown Way
CF14 3UZ

How to do it

To access the HMRC online service you will need your account details, the company’s registration number, Companies House online account details and any corrections and amendments you have.

· To file your accounts and tax return together – use HMRC’s online service/accounting software

· To file accounts with Companies House separately – send your accounts to Companies House online

· File tax return with HMRC separately – use HMRC’s online service or accounting software

It is also possible to give your accountant or tax adviser your authentication code for Companies House or appoint an agent to file your Company Tax Return so they can do it for you.

A guide to choosing a name for your business

Congratulations entrepreneur, you’ve created your own company. Now you need to name it, and unfortunately, there are rules for that. Provided by Companies House - the government body that regulates all UK businesses – there is a range of prerequisites for the all-important name that you might be stuck with for a while.

Breaking down the rules, ProveICalled have created a handy guide for you below.

What does a company count as?

A name must be given for any business you are setting up that involves a private limited company, a limited liability partnership, a limited partnership, an ‘ordinary’ business partnership or as a sole trader. Though you needn’t register with Companies House for the latter, you still need to adhere to the business name rules.

Can and can’ts

Your company name cannot:

· Be the exact same as another registered company’s name. You can search the Companies House register to double check if it is in use or not.

· Be similar to another registered name. It should ideally be unique, but you can work that one out for yourself – if you think it might be, then it probably is. However, it is possible to get permission from an existing Ltd or LLP company if it’s the same or similar to theirs – but you either must have written confirmation or it must be part of the same group. ‘Same as’ and ‘too like’ names are the two different categories it cannot be.
Same as – meaning the only difference is punctuation, special characters or one or more words listed in the guidance on naming. Example: Hands UK Ltd and Hand’s UK Ltd are the same as Hands Ltd.
Too like – if somebody complains that your company name is too similar to theirs and they have registered first, you may have to change it. Companies House will contact you if this happens.

· Contain a ‘sensitive’ word or expression without permission or be generally offensive. Also goes without saying.

· Suggest a connection with any government body or local authorities. So don’t call your company ‘The Police,’ silly.

So in essence, be unique.

Names, trademarks and business names

Here are some more rules about displaying your name:

· Remember you must register trademarks separately to registering your company or partnership. Using your company name does not ensure it is protected. You should perhaps check the trademark register before the name.

· Though most private limited UK companies end in Ltd it is possible to apply to leave ‘limited’ from your name. However it must be limited by guarantee and your articles of association say your company either has objects of promotion or regulation of commerce, art, science, education, religion, charity or any profession, cannot pay its members, must spend its income on promoting its objects or requires each member to contribute to company assets if it’s wound up during their membership, or within a year of them stopping being a member.

· You are able to trade using a different name to your registered name – known as a business name. It must not however include ‘limited’, ‘Ltd’, ‘limited liability partnership, ‘LLP’, ‘public limited company’ or ‘plc’ or be the same as an existing trade mark. It generally follows the rules of the ‘cannots’ above.

I need to tell Companies House about changes to my company

There are a range of specific changes you must inform Companies House about if you choose to make them to your company.

These include any of the following:

· Your company name

· Your registered office address

· Changing where your company records are kept, if different from the above address

· Which records you’ll keep at a different address

· Changing your accounting reference date

· Directors and secretaries – any resignations, changes to personal details or new appointments

· Details of new mortgages or paid off mortgages

· Changes to your company’s share structure

It might also be important for you to inform Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of any of the changes and some may need you to pass a resolution.

How to make the changes

It is simpler for you to make the changes online if you have already registered, but if not you can do so easily. You will have an email address and password you used to sign up to the online service, along with an authentication code that Companies House will have sent you. After the log in page you will be able to amend the changes you wish, though your address will not change until Companies House have officially registered it.

If you need to register because you haven’t used the Companies House service previously, you should use the email address and create a password online and then the government body will post you the authentication code to the registered address of your office – so make sure you are working from the same one.

The company name change should take effect immediately when you register it – the company will post you a certificate with your new company name and date of registration.

It is also possible to file any changes by post if you prefer. You can find the form on the website and send it to the address displayed on it.

How much are Healthy Start vouchers and where can I use them?

How much are they?

Alongside free Healthy Start vitamin supplements if you are eligible for vouchers you will get:

If you are pregnant - £3.10 a week
For each baby aged under one - £6.20 a week (two vouchers)
For each child aged over one but under four - £3.10

The vouchers are sent by post every four weeks and can be used in most supermarkets and local retailers. They do not count towards your income when you work out your entitlement for other benefits and allowances.

What can I spend them on?

Plain cow’s milk – this means only whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, whether pasteurised, sterilised or UHT. You are unable to spend the voucher on any coloured, flavoured, condensed, evaporated or powdered milk (other than infant formula). It also cannot be goat’s, soya or any form of milkshake or vitamin-enriched milk.

Plain fresh or frozen fruit and veg – only whole, chopped, packaged or loose fruit and vegetables, with no added ingredients. Vouchers will not be accepted for any dried, canned, pre-cooked or juiced vegetables or any with added oil, salt, sugar or flavourings such as oven chipped and onion rings.

Infant formula milk – only formula that says on the packaging it ‘suitable from birth’ that is based on cow’s mik. You will not be able to spend the vouchers on formula based on soya or goat’s milk formulas or any follow-on milk suitable for babies aged six months and older. As formula is suitable for babies up to 12 months you can then use the same vouchers to buy cow’s milk from then on.

Where can I use them?

Any shop that is registered as part of the Healthy Start scheme will accept your vouchers. A range of local corner shops, co-ops, market stalls, greengrocers, pharmacies, supermarkets and even milk floats will be happy to swap the coupons for food and drink.

There should be a Healthy Start sticker in the window of the stores if they are registered retailers. Though it shouldn’t be hard for you to find a retailer that accepts the vouchers you can get in touch with Healthy Start to help you find one. If you ask inside and the shop is not registered, you could inform them of the scheme yourself and direct them to the information sheet or website. It’s free for them to register and they are reimbursed by Healthy Start – tell them to call the Healthy Start contact number for more information and an application form.